22 January 2011

capture: julia schauenburg

i love this idea and the beauty australian-based photographer julia schauenburg captures in the last breath of the flowers she buys for herself.
  
“I have spent one year buying myself flowers every week. I am giving myself flowers, in appreciation of myself. I watch them die, I take their photograph, like a mug shot, a document of their existence an honor to mine. I document the moment of loss, the moment when romance turns into nostalgia. The gesture of giving flowers is the desire to manifest, in real time, an emotion, which is timeless in its nature. The tragedy lies within its inherent truth, its eventual death. By photographing a part of its process, the part before the romantic moment gets destroyed, is the moment I am capturing, documenting and keeping. As Hippocrates said, ‘Life is short, Art is long.’






[photos by julia schauenburg via art hound]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...